Dismiss Notice

REGISTRATION IS AFTER ADMIN ACTIVATION

DONATIONS WITH PAYPAL CLICK TO BUTTON

1 MONTH VIP - 5$; 3 MONTHS VIP - 10$; 6 MONTHS VIP - 20$; 1 YEAR VIP - 30$; 2 YEARS VIP - 50$; GOLD USER FOR LIFE VIP - 150$

DONATIONS WITH Bitcoin Address:3NRs3CK3fhXifrNYxHEZKpETDd9vNLMsMD

Dismiss Notice
The registration is approved by the Administrator. It takes about 1 day to approve your registration
Dismiss Notice
For open hidden message no need write thanks, thank etc. Enough is click to like button on right side of thread.

Create smaller Delphi exe file

Discussion in 'Delphi Programming' started by emarti, Nov 27, 2013.

1. emarti

emarti DF Junior

in RTTI :: Some time ago I've moved my Delphi 2007 project to Delphi XE. The size of the EXE produced by Delphi 2007 was ~ 5 MB (included some resources, no build with packages used).
    Moving to Delphi XE resulted in EXE size growth to 10.5 MB!

Ok, "today" the size of the EXE should not be something your users would worry about - but I needed to send beta/test copies to a partner every day / two days / very often.

The RTTI has changed from Delphi 2007. Delphi 2010 and Delphi XE have an "extended RTTI" - making executables larger.

Anyway, I had to shrink the size of my EXEcutable, and since I was not using any RTTI in that project, here's what I did:

program MyDelphiXE

{$WEAKLINKRTTI ON}
    {$RTTI EXPLICIT METHODS([]) PROPERTIES([]) FIELDS([])}

This was placed under the "program" keyword in the DPR (Delphi project file).
    The "{$WEAKLINKRTTI ON}" compiler directive (default value if OFF) only affects linking - methods are not included in the binary so that RTTI can not find and invoke methods at run time.

The "{$RTTI EXPLICIT METHODS([]) PROPERTIES([]) FIELDS([])}" controls the amount of extended RTTI information that is emitted for a class or record type - it disables all the RTTI options and sets to not emit any extended RTTI information.

With the above directive in place my EXE size was reduced to 9 MB. Not much.

Then, I've found UPX - packer for executables. Using "UPX -9 MyDelphiXE.exe" I've reduced the EXE size to a fantastic 3.5 MB!

2. gujadoo

gujadoo DF Junior

good technic. :)
    Thanks.

*** I usally found antivirus report program that compress with UPX as a virus.

3. emarti

emarti DF Junior

Yes, but no problem. Problem is your anti-virus software. Change it! :)

4. N0body

N0bodyN0body is a Verified Member DelphiFan Administrator Staff Member DF Staff

no problem with own antivirus problem with virustotal or other sites
    if you scan program virustotal say :virus found :D

5. emarti

emarti DF Junior

I am using AVG and Microsoft Security Ess. (other pc). No problem to found virus from compress with upx. But I said that Avast anti-virus may do it.

6. kamiserg

kamiserg DF Member

I once used this to make applications with low weight.

http://kolmck.net/

7. akosinald

akosinald DF Member

been using UPX since version 1... UPX FTW!

8. a3664910@drdrb.net

a3664910@drdrb.net DF Junior

9. aarmada

aarmada Guest

RE:

wow this is very helpful thanks

10. Mr.Lonely

Mr.Lonely DF Junior

11. sandro.giusto

sandro.giusto DF Member

RE:

The shrinkage obtained switching from Debug to Release build configuration is more than welcome for my needs!

Thank you very very very much!

Bye, Sandro

12. Pichit

Pichit DF Junior

RE:

thank you i will try

13. Prof_Ho2

Prof_Ho2 DF Member

Good discussion point

14. adisaks

adisaks DF Member

helpful thank you.