1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Donation with Paypal!!!

Go to your paypal account and send directly donation to [email protected]

1 month - 10 $ - Standart VIP

6 months - 20 $- Standart VIP

1 year - 30 $- Standart VIP

2 years - 50 $- Standart VIP

Gold member for life - 150 $- Standart VIP

High Vip (Standart VIP include) group please send PM or email to [email protected] for info

After Donation please send email to [email protected]

3. Donation Ways 2020

Paysend
  4. Telegram

5. Delphifan Magazine
Dismiss Notice

Donation with Paypal!!!

Go to your paypal account and send directly donation to [email protected]

1 month - 10 $ - Standart VIP

6 months - 20 $- Standart VIP

1 year - 30 $- Standart VIP

2 years - 50 $- Standart VIP

Gold member for life - 150 $- Standart VIP

High Vip (Standart VIP include) group please send PM or email to [email protected] for info

After Donation please send email to [email protected]

Dismiss Notice
For open hidden message no need write thanks, thank etc. Enough is click to like button on right side of thread.

XE7 vs XE8 vs DX10 Seattle

Discussion in 'Delphi Help&Requests' started by JTKerk, Nov 7, 2015.

1. JTKerk

JTKerk DF Member DF Gold User

Hi there friends.

The last few months i was trying to figure out which would be the most suitable Delphi suite than one should migrate coming from an older one suite.
    I have to notice that until now i have only been using the Delphi 7 suite. A suite that according to my small experience, but mostly according with more experienced than me programers, is a very good and robust suite with very few mistakes (at least for the majority of tis components and capabilities).

However, while time and market's needs goes by, there comes a point that one should eventualy migrate from the suite he is familiar with to a new one.
    Now, i don't know if it is for good or for bad, the last 3 years - if i am right - Embarcadero put out three new suites (xe7-xe8-xe10).
    I don't put in consideration their predecessors of the xe series, since until xe6 there were too many problems that one, as far as i know, had to face while the last three series (mentioned above) seem to be in a good "truck".

So the dilema one would eventually face is: which of the xe7-xe8-xe10 series is proven until now to be the most robust, well designed, with the fewest faults suite that could migrate to without any future regret.

I would like to hear your valuable advice and opinions.

2. TDDung

TDDung DF Junior

RE: xe7 vs xe8 vs xe10 (Siatl)

XE10 a.k.a. Delphi Seatle is the best bet, but choose wisely on the editions due to price.

3. JTKerk

RE: xe7 vs xe8 vs xe10 (Siatl)

Hi TDDung,

Thank you for your opinion.
    Even though xe10 seems to be very much promising, isn't it a little bit early for puting it on the top ?
    Is it really so robust and well designed or do the possible faults and malfunctions haven't reavealed yet ?
    I putting this question because as we've already seen Embarcadero has already gave two updates for both xe7 and xe8 suites.
    Which means that, without knowing or have experienced any problems myself yet, these two "charming" suites have been designed somehow "carelessly". Thus the two updates for each of those.
    So, if i may ask you, according which creteria - except some extra capabiliteis - do you put xe10 on the top ?

4. neeruu

neeruu DF Junior

Hi, I started to try XE7 . finished migrating to XE8 UPD1 because XE7 has bugs that hindered the migration of my projects.

Now I'm XE8 approximately 8 months and everything is going .

While I am interested in trying XE10 , I do not have time to invest testing it .

Regards.

5. ajp

ajpajp is a Verified Memberajp is a Featured Member DF Junior DF Gold User

• XE7 IDE (C++Builder) was not usable for any size of serious projects development. In fact it used to crash for fairly small project. I migrated 2 small projects and realise it is not usable as stability was big issue. 
    • XE8 was much better than XE7 but some of the features of IDE used to break down after some time for small projects but at least capable of compiling project with more than 50 forms. Compilation speed was very slow and integrated debugger used to fail frequently. Again not possible to migrate large project. Due to failure of some of the IDE feature frequent restating of IDE was required.
    • XE10/RX10 IDE is surprisingly very stable. I tested projects with more than 120 forms and IDE is very stable. No issue with integrated debugger. I am using for last 1 months and not observed any noticeable bugs. In my opinion most stable release after XE. Some testing I done with Fire Monkey and apparently looks ok. You can definitely invest in RAD Studio Seattle. 

6. JTKerk

Hi ajp, hi neeruu,

Thank you for your opinions.
    Its a pitty that xe7 even though promising, isn't reliable.
    As for xe8, having considered the ajp's experience seems to have a bit better positioning than xe7 (only for small projects).

I don't know whether or not Embarcadero going to release any other upgrade for xe7 or xe8 (seems pointless to me with xe10 on the air), but it would be really great - according to what was posted here until now - to see xe10 becoming the real one successor of the legendary D7 suite.
    Otherwise we will have to see new updates of either xe7-xe8-xe10 in order to make them robust.

7. SALVOK5

SALVOK5 Guest

Agree more with you.
    I always FireMonkey program and I'm noticing that it is much more stable and less problems on compiling under win32.
    Yes, much better DX10.
    [​IMG]

8. TDDung

TDDung DF Junior

The IDE is very stable and fast, the codes we have compile and run very well on all target devices including the ones that did not run XE7-X8 executables before, we have more new features with DX10 which give us things we tried hard to achieve (With some success) before.

Of course no version, including DX11 or beyond, can be completely bug-free and some new features do bring new situations and problems abeit their benefits, but weighing all together my conclusion is that DX10 does better than XE7 and XE8, i.e. more advantages than not.

I converted most active and recent projects I have in XE6 till XE8 to DX10 (Some unit references do need change/adjustment...), both VCL and FMX, some with up to dozen of thousands of code lines, with a lot of technology involved (Such as Datasnap, Tethering, HTTP/TCPIP internet, BDE/DbExpress, ...) and everything works (seemingly) better.

So, I cannot say for others but since you asked for an opinion, mine is to bank on DX10.

9. Koru

Koru Guest

DX10, much more stable

10. cocute

cocute DF Member

i have try DX10 and compiled Android apps i think more more fast boot[​IMG]

11. JoSyl

JoSyl DF Member

I never had stability issue with XE7. My only complain is that its not very fast to deploy Android application. I did not tried XE8. I will try XE10 soon. IM sure its a good upgrade from XE7.

12. macc2010

macc2010 DF Member

RE:

My experience with XE7 has been a disaster.

Bugs in IDE classic undocked, bugs in internal libraries in basic things like errors in decimals in bcd, errors in onvalidate events in TDateTime fields ... etc.

I think that in DX10 has been solved that problems, but for now I have stopped the migration of my applications due to this experience.

13. tbilalis

tbilalis DF Junior

We should all have in mind that all XE versions share the same codebase at a large extend (i.e. RTL, Firemonkey etc), therefore every update for previous XE versions, has to be included in the latest version, if introduction times match. Some refactoring is always needed, therefore some new bugs show up in the latest versions and we, the users, do the testing for EMB. Currently I would bet for XE8 until the XE10 1st update shows up. Indeed there are some major bugs in Seattle that is not worth finding them out at the last 10% of your project's dev cycle... EMB has a large TODO list for fixes already.

14. JTKerk

Hi  tbilalis,

I just read your post and i was wondering...
    If there are indeed some major bugs in XE10-Sialt suite, that noone of those who tried it until now has experienced, could you please provide us a sample of these.
    And if possible under which circumstances do these faults revealed to you ? (e.g. during mathematical quations or by transforming integers to floats etc...).

I am aksing you this favor, cause until now the friends who migrated and tested their applications from other suites to xe-10 haven't experienced such faults or no faults at all. (A situation that reminds me the time when D7 came to birth and became outstanding from all the previous suites).

Also i have to notice smth else. Even though all XE suites use the same core code-engine, that doesn't forbite significant differentials - modifications - could be  made for one or some of them. In simple words, before reavealing a new suite you may follow the same path with the previous suites and just comprise all the updates that have been made in the previous ones along with some new features/capabilities, or deploy a new way which uses the, same, code-engine in a different but much more better way that may possibly face no serious errors and faults at all.
    I don't know which of the two ways/strategies Embarcadero followed before constructing the new XE-10 Siatle suite.
    One thing is sure for now, there is noone complained about xe-10 for major faults and malfunctions... at least from the friends that posted in this thread.

15. profepaco

profepaco DF Junior

pepople, you are convincing me to migrate to Seattle .

Thanks for sharing experiences.

16. Mpas

Mpas DF Member

XE10 looks very stable.
    Testing now firemonkey for android.
    Project works perfectly and start app is faster.

17. TDDung

TDDung DF Junior

I agree with JTKerk and wish to know from tbilalis the faults/errors/issues he mentioned. I myself spoke from own real work, did not exeprience problems at all (Except some refactoring, but that's absolutely normal) and hereby stand by my suggestion.

18. chris

chris DF Junior

I think so too after much testing i must say Delphi Seatle comes in the Rubric One of the bests Delph (x) Versions.

19. AlexSilvan

AlexSilvan DF Member

I was in the same doubt and now I see the Seattle version seems to be the best. Whenever I will need to migrate from good old Delphi 7 version, I'll consider your experience here, thanks guys!

;)

20. profepaco

profepaco DF Junior

And you can develop an android server in Seattle. Just trying that.